- This event has passed.
North Coast Ohio Sail and Power Squadron- Piloting Course
January 24 @ 6:30 pm - 9:00 pm
An event every week that begins at 6:30pm on Thursday, repeating until February 7, 2019
Where: 4851 North Marginal Rd, Cleveland 44114 Dates: Thursday, January 24 to March 21, 2019 (No Class February 14) (8 sessions)
Time: 6:30-9:00 PM Cost: $75 member $100 nonmember
Jim Christman 440-537-4800 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Dave Kinkaid 216-402-8287 or email email@example.com
Pre-requisite-America’s Boating Class
Piloting is the first course in the sequence of USPS courses on navigation, covering the basics of coastal and inland navigation. This course focuses on navigation as it is done on recreational boats today and embraces GPS as a primary navigation tool while covering enough of traditional techniques so the student will be able to find his/her way even if their GPS fails.
The course includes many in-class exercises, developing the student’s skills through hands-on practice and learning.
Topics covered include:
- Charts and their interpretation
- Navigation aids and how they point to safe water
- Plotting courses and determining direction and distance
- The mariner’s compass and converting between True and Magnetic
- Use of GPS – typical GPS displays and information they provide, setting up waypoints and routes, staying on a GPS route.
- Pre-planning safe courses and entering them into the GPS
- Monitoring progress and determining position by both GPS and traditional techniques such as bearings and dead reckoning The “Seaman’s Eye” – simple skills for checking that one is on course.